How to Ship Cargo
We only are able to ship cargo to Islands in Kiribati and The Cook Islands. We ship cargo two ways. One if you bring us your cargo to the ship and the other, if we shop and ship for you. We describe both below.
Steps if you are bringing
your cargo to us for shipping:
- In Honolulu. Contact us to find out our upcoming schedule and to reserve space if you have more the 1 cubic meter (m3).
- We operate on a first come first serve basis so the sooner you ask to reserve space the better.
- All your items must be clearly labeled with name and Island they are going to.
- All your cargo must be put on a pallet to get it onto the ship. We often have them available at the dock but if you are able to bring your own please do so.
- If you have several items they should be wrapped in plastic. You are responsible to bring your own plastic roll and wrap your items.
- If your cargo is new (not used), we will need a copy of ALL your receipts. This is required by customs. You will be asked to fill out a dock receipt with Shipper ( your name, address and either telephone number or email address and CONSIGNEE( the name of the person cargo is going and Island. We will then use the receipt to go measure your cargo and give you a total price for shipping. You will get a copy of this receipt before you leave.
- We charge by volume and our unit of measurement is cubic meters or m3.
- Our shipping price has not changed in several years but please inquire as to our price before you bring your cargo so as to avoid any misunderstanding at the dock.
- We ask that you pay for your shipping at the time you drop off your cargo. Please allow us time to measure your cargo and figure the price.
- We accept payment in cash or local checks. We do not take credit cards.
- You will also need to fill out a CCVO form for customs. This form asks you for Quantity, Description and Value of each item you are shipping. Please give us your email address and we will send you the form in EXCEL format and instructions on how to fill it out. We need the form emailed back to us so we can then enter it into our system. Thank you
If you are shipping a vehicle to Kiribati:
- Please check with the Captain to make sure there is enough room on the ship for your vehicle. We have limited space for vehicles on any given voyage.
- It is very important that the title of the vehicle be put in the persons name that will be taking the vehicle for customs inspection. If that person is not available, the owner of the vehicle needs to provide a notarized letter stating who will be bringing the vehicle into customs.
- KWAI will provide you with a form to fill out with the details that we need to prepare the papers for customs. Along with this form, we will ask you for a copy of the Title.
- Once we have the information we will apply for an export number. Once we have that, We will give you a Bill of Lading that includes that export number. The owner takes this document to customs along with the vehicle being shipped. The vehicle must be completely empty for inspection. The inspection date can not be ANY LESS then 72 hours prior to the ship sailing.
- If passed by customs they will stamp your Bill of Lading. Please bring this stamped document, the keys and the title to the shipping dock for drop off.
- We will ask for payment in full for the vehicle at the shipping dock.
If you would like us to shop
for you and ship your cargo:
- If you have an agent on the Island you live on, please check with him or her to use an order form. In this Catalogue form you will see many of the popular items we can shop for and approximate prices for each.
- The prices in the catalogue reflect what we were able to buy the last time we purchased the item and may have changed when we go to buy it for you. The prices are to be used as a guide to pricing only.
- Please indicate how many of each and what size when asked. For Clothing, if you don’t know what size, please send us your measurment and we will figure it out. Please give us as much information about the item you want as possible. If there is a color you want please give us your number one and number two choice. If the item is electronic and/or higher priced and not in our catalogue we will need 100% deposit BEFORE we can shop for it. Please email your deposit information with your order when possible.
- For online orders we CAN ONLY use Amazon.com and it MUST be an item that says it’s PRIME. These are the only items they will ship to Hawaii. You must also email us the page link (copy and paste the page of your item into your email to us). We will need a FULL Deposit for all items ordered on Amazon. To calculate the required deposit amount take the Amazon amount and multiply it by 2 and then deposit that amount in your country currency into your bank. Email email@example.com with your deposit details (date, name used for the deposit at your bank, receipt # and amount)
We will adjust any price difference to you at the time of delivery. Deposits can not be refunded or used for any other items.
- Our email for ALL orders is firstname.lastname@example.org only. Please do not email any orders to Captain Brad’s personal email.
- We charge a 20% fee for buying and processing any orders and the shipping by volume (cubic meters) for your items. You are also required to pay any VAT to your country’s customs. (note VAT is included in your invoice if you live in the Cook Islands).
- We can not send an invoice with each persons totals until after the ship leaves Honolulu.
Thank you very much.